Neck complaints can have different causes. By means of a thorough clinical screening/assessment and, if need be, the use of an MRI, the Orthopaedic Manual Therapist (OMT) can find the exact cause of your complaint. Based on the outcome of the assessment, the appropriate treatment strategy will be implemented:
- Recovery of spinal joint mobility using specialized techniques such as, manipulations and mobilisations.
- In cases where strength and coordination of muscles is compromised, attention will be given to recover these functions.
- Muscles of the neck can become stiff and/or can be shortened (hypertonic). If this is the primary cause of your complaint, treatment will consist of relaxation and/or stretching techniques.
- Poor postural and ergonomic (work) habits can cause neck complaints. In many cases, this creates an overload which translates itself into pain, stiffness or other complaints of the cervical spine. Additionally to instructions on sit- and work ergonomics, we provide you with personalized and specific home exercises.
In cases where the assessment does not yield and dysfunctions within the spinal column or muscles, the cause of your complaints may be due to other factors. The Orthopaedic Manual Therapist will then refer you to the General Practitioner and inform them of his/her findings.
All our treatments are based on the latest and most evidence based research.
(Translated from source: NAOMT.nl)
Different neck pathologies:
- Cervicogenic headaches
- CANS = complaints of arms, neck and shoulders.